Thursday, July 29, 2010


If
cleanliness is next to godliness then Filipinos are damned.
So to speak.



I have found it nearly impossible to remain clean during my month-long expedition in the city of Manila. Of course, I'm applying my high-and-mighty American standard of cleanliness mixed in with my mild case of OCD standard of cleanliness. Let's just say it doesn't paint as luxurious a picture of the tropics as one would hope. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying my stay here tremendously, but every time I look around the city I am appalled with how much disease and filth the average Joe is carrying on their person. I manage to hide this judgment by feigning disinterest or by hastily putting my sunglasses on so people can't see my expression.

Am I a spoiled American? Yes, I most certainly am.

Does this distress me? More than I can say. In fact, I am very disappointed with my inner reaction.


No comments:

Post a Comment