Thursday, July 29, 2010

Dressing to Stand Out

I don't understand how I can stick out so much here in the Philippines -- as if my very attire screams "I'm an American!" It's not that I mind being American, in fact I love it, but I'm also half Filipino, and I wish I could show it more while I'm in the midst of fellow Filipinos. I should fit in somewhere, right?

But I don't.

Women here tend to wear the more fitted tops that almost always have sleeves. Tank-tops or spaghetti strapped dresses aren't as popular as it is in the States. This is quite ironic considering the climate year-round is perfect for loose, airy clothing. Shorts or short skirts also aren't as prevalent as I thought they'd be. Everyone wears long jeans -- even when it's a sweltering 90* with 80% humidity.

Because people have the good sense to stay in air conditioned areas as much as possible, it's quite common to see people wearing long sleeves or jackets. I will never adopt this habit while I'm living in the tropics. And I trust you to hold me to this.

Back to women's clothing....it's so incredibly average -- nothing you wouldn't see in any US city. So this still makes me ponder all the more why I look so different. Is it my colorful dresses? The fact that I'm baring my shoulders? Or the excessive amount of underarm fat that refuses to hide within my tops? Believe me, I'm a clumsy looking walrus compared to these spiffy-dressed mini penguins. They're tiny and look sharp. I'm blubbery and look....messy.

I don't get it.

I find myself quite fashionable -- at least I did back in the States. Now I see myself as a sloppy dresser, preferring looser tops and dresses to the form-fitting style that's so in style here in the Philippines.

Where women show off their curves, men tend to hind in their overly-baggy clothes. The tops for commoners tend to be two to three sizes too big, and even pants are worn overly loose. For the trendier male, v-necks are highly fashionable, as well as tighter jeans. I guess some things don't change from country to country.

No comments:

Post a Comment