Friday, July 30, 2010

Coffee at Cupcakes

I don't think Filipinos understand the concept of blended drinks. Here I am in an artsy little shop ordering a blended latte and all the barista behind the counter does is put my iced latte that she already made into a blender and hands it to me. I would have faired just as well if she forgot about the blender and gave me the iced coffee. Strangely enough, she acted like she didn't understand what I was asking -- which I find incredibly hard to believe considering everyone speaks English and she's catering to a crowd that adores blended drinks. Oh well, I'll just have to think of it as an iced latte.

But, on the positive side, I did just have my first ever cupcake. We're not talking any old made-from-a-box-mix or buy-from-Safeway kind of cupcake -- we're talking about a CUPCAKE.


From the world famous been-featured-in-several-magazines shoppe Cupcakes. It's a typical little specialty shop, specializing in what else? cupcakes. But this little bistro is decorated oddly enough as a throw back to the 1950s USA. Not something you find everyday in Manila, Philippines. But again, from where I sit in a plush outdoor shopping plaza, they are catering to the rich American tourist.

I obviously don't belong here, but don't tell. There's a security guard standing twenty feet away from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment