Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Thrown into the fire, only to find a breath of fresh air

WHY REFUGEES?
 
I came to Greece a little over a month ago to work within the refugee community.

If I were truly honest, I cannot put into words why I feel so compelled to be here with refugees.  Out of all the vulnerable communities that I've been exposed to -- and there have been several -- I am continually drawn to refugees.  It is the duty of the strong to look after the weak (insert 'vulnerable').  And vulnerable can extend to a plethora of groups.  God also calls us to care for widows and orphans, and to extend hospitality to the foreigner. That's the one that I keep circling back to.  Perhaps it's because they are looking for safety, a place to belong, a home.

Perhaps it's because I'm looking for the same thing.

The more I allow God to show me His world and His people, the more I see the brokenness in how we as people create society.  Make no mistake - blame cannot be placed on God when we are making our own choices.  He created us with our own mind -- not robots that instantly submit to His will -- so we are perfectly capable of treating one another so much better.  Now, I accept that I'm longing for an idealistic world free of malice and self-interest.  I know this is ultimately unrealistic.  But do I throw up my hands and say, "oh well"?  Do I simply live in brokenness?  As long as we are living in a world that does not recognize the sovereignty of God and his perfect plan, we will continually be disappointed in the society we live in.  A society that does not stand for the vulnerable - the widows, orphans, homeless, abused, sex-trafficked, slave laborers.

The refugee.


WAITING IN A REFUGEE CAMP

Although I've been dividing my time between two ministries part time, my ministry in Athens is still being sorted out (I'll post another blog about them soon).  However, everything and everyone took a two week Easter break (schools, ministries, etc.), and I suddenly found myself in a refugee camp in northern Greece called Nea Kavala.  The timing was purely God-ordained.  I was unexpectedly given two weeks off from the ministries I started with, so I rang up my friend who is a coordinator with Drapen i Havet (DiH), Norweigen for Drop in the Ocean.  She said they were short on volunteers and asked if I could volunteer with them.  I bought a train ticket, and by Monday, April 22, I was in a village called Axioupolis.

Although I've spent quite a bit of time with refugees through the years, this was technically the first time I worked in a refugee camp, as there are usually restrictions concerning short-term volunteers.  Not so with Nea Kavala.  With very little information, I was thrown into the beautiful chaos of 'market week' in the Drop Shop.



THE FIRE

Market week is the week when residents can come into the clothing shop (comprised solely of donations from individuals, other NGOs, and even a couple corporations) and select clothing for themselves and/or their family.  While I say it was chaotic, there was a method to the madness.  Refugee residents have specific appointment times when they could come in so that the shop wasn't flooded with hundreds of people.  Residents check in at the front of the shop, select their clothing and hygiene items, and check out at the back of the shop.  Their currency:  drops.  Residents are given a certain amount of 'drops' and can earn more, or choose not to spend all their drops during market week.  It's a way for residents to spend, while not using actual money.  It's a beautiful system.

 
 
When I arrived, there were only two international volunteers, with four resident volunteers.  Needless to say, that was not enough people to handle everything DiH managed had going on.  My mind was over-stimulated with all the new information I was trying to digest on the run, and by the end of the day, I was exhausted!  Even with so few people, DiH still managed to run like a well-oiled machine, making up for shortcomings with a gracious smile.  And day after day, we got up and did it all over again (only on Wednesday, we packaged and distributed food as well!).

Food distribution
On the other side of the distribution window
The next day I was given a full rundown of all the services DiH ran: laundry, bike rentals, a build-and-repair shop, food distribution, sports/games/fitness, and of course, the Drop Shop.  My head was spinning with everything DiH managed!


FRESH AIR

What impressed me most of all were the resident volunteers.  For the first week I was there, they outnumbered international volunteers and were an absolute powerhouse when it came to food distribution and managing the Drop Shop.  They are all incredibly hard workers, and were so patient with me as I learned the ropes.  To top it all off, they also worked as translators during market week.  Despite how fast-paced market week was, I was able to get to know the resident volunteers as we worked together.  It was easy to do -- they offered ready smiles, laughter, and even tried teaching me some Arabic and Farsi (I have terrible pronunciation).  All in all, the friendships that were born came from a place of mutual respect with a dash of curiosity.

On Saturday we went on a special outing to a bird sanctuary on a lake.
On my last two days there, one couple invited me for a special dinner they prepared so I could experience Syrian food -- and it was absolutely scrumptious!  If you ever get a chance to try maqlooba, you must! I knew that buying the ingredients (especially to feed an extra person or two) was costly, but I also knew I could not refuse such a generous offer of hospitality.  Sharing meals is cross-culturally the best way to build relationships.  I will stand by this:  if you want to truly get to know someone, break bread with them.



 REVIVED AND REFRESHED

Even in the midst of a camp (and all that entails), beauty surrounded -- and even interloped -- the grounds.  It could be seen in the faces of the residents, the laughter of the children, the painted bathrooms, and the breathtaking poppy fields and sunsets.  I know the camp is not my home, so my perspective is quite different; however, no one can watch the sun set over the distant mountains and not be captivated by its beauty.  It is a small comfort to have in dire circumstances.


Although I was only able to work with DiH for nine days, I am even more convinced that I am where I need to be.  This is the community I need to be a part of, and I need to be intentional about reaching out and building relationships in Athens.  I am sad I cannot remain part of the DiH community, but God has shown me that opportunities abound in Athens if I were only to look.

I came back to Athens with renewed vigor (although physically tired), only to find that my previous arrangement with Faros had changed over Easter break.  I'll admit I was disappointed, but cannot help but believe that God works all things for good (Rom 8:28).  While my ministry focus has shifted to be working more with women, I believe this is also an answer to prayer: He is giving me a chance at community.

There is so much I have to learn about everything -- culture, ministry, language, etc. -- but I am approaching my entire time here as a learning opportunity, and am so blessed to be given the chance at the first-hand experience.

3 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you, sound like an amazing adventure and truly blessed opportunity. Sending prayers your way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. It's a lot to learn. We support n pray God's strength n wisdom as you work His path for you. Much love n respect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing, Lissa, and for serving where you are led.

    ReplyDelete