Sunday, August 8, 2010

It's a Lefty World



Thailand, I have found, is a lefty-friendly country. Of course, I've only been here a week so they could very easily be just as righty-friendly as well.

So far I've witnessed and experienced driving on the left side of the road (which, if you're sitting in the 'passenger' side like I did yesterday you'd experience a mini panic for not having a steering wheel in front of you). It is a very awkward thing to be in the front seat with the driver to the right of you.


Along with driving on the left side, you also pass on the left side -- this makes the awkward passing dance infinitely more interesting when you take a step to the right, fake to the left, pirouette with a cart to the right again, then give up and climb the walls just to get around them. All the while, these Thai people stare at you like you're slow.

Another thing that is generally kept on the left side is the toilet paper. This may not be a big deal to you, but it was a pleasant surprise to have the roll on the left side of the toilet.


However, the one thing that ISN'T lefty-friendly is oddly enough their vegetable peeler. I bought a fancier one than I usually use simply because it had a blade on one side and it looked cool. Wouldn't you know it, it can only be used by right-handed individuals. What is with the discrimination??

So while I figure out how to use the peeler like most average people do, I'm going to concentrate on more important things -- like how to decorate an apartment when the walls are two-toned.






No comments:

Post a Comment