Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christmas in the Tropics

has great potential to be the saddest thing ever.

I went Christmas shopping last night in the Central department store, which is like the Macy's of the mall in America. With that in mind, think about shopping there for seasonal things as opposed to, say, the Dollar Tree. You catch my drift? When a decent tree and ornaments cost well over a hundred dollars, my wallet threatens to leave me.

But that's not what is so sad. Shopping for Christmas decorations for my apartment is just a reminder -- a BIG reminder -- that I'll be alone for Christmas. That I won't be home with family for Christmas. That I won't be surrounded by friends that I grew up with. That the lack of cold weather, freezing hands, and icy roads completely voids any semblance for Christmas no matter how many wreaths and bells I scatter around my apartment.


These were my thoughts as I spent over 2,000 baht on decorations that I didn't even have the heart to buy with joyful anticipation. That is why they are still sitting in two huge bags in my living room. That is why I need to wait until I have energy to put them up without feeling completely sorry for myself.

I never thought I would be sad -- actually sad about spending Christmas away from family; away from the familiar. I guess the gypsy life does have its drawbacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment